NASSAU COUNTY AND CITY OF FERNANDINA BEACH, FLORIDA
Wireless Master Plan February 2019
Geographic Area 684 square miles
Duration 2017 – Present
Nassau County is located in the northeast corner of Florida just north of the City of Jacksonville. The County has many pockets that have little or no wireless coverage. The County has very diverse land use characteristics and population therefore it was broken down into five study areas:
- Incorporated Island Area – City of Fernandina Beach
- Unincorporated Island Area – areas outside City but on the island
- Incorporated Non-Island Area
- Unincorporated Non-Island Area – east of I-95
- Unincorporated Non-Island Area – west of I-95
CityScape’s master planning process identified the locations of all existing wireless facilities creating a catalog of facilities. The existing facilities were mapped and coverage gaps indicated. This mapping was analyzed and the number of facilities necessary for the next ten years was projected. Existing regulations were updated to accommodate the desired infrastructure and hierarchies were put in place to ease deployment for the areas of the County that need and want wireless services.
- The County adopted the zoning regulations and utilized the Plan as backup for the preferences in the ordinance.
- Established hierarchy for infrastructure preferences by study area.
- Provided training and relevant material for staff, decision-makers and the public.
- Streamlined the processes for new wireless infrastructure applications.
- Addressed ongoing monitoring of all wireless communications facilities to ensure they are being properly maintained.